Friday, October 12, 2007

Country Sick

Well, here it is October already (thank goodness). We have been in Texas for 5 months now. It doesn't seem that long, but it is. I have been pretty content here, except for occasional bouts of wishing I could go home (Alabama) for a visit. But those bouts have come a lot less frequently than when I was in Louisiana. I think I could probably go anywhere now, as long as my family is with me. Although, the thought of moving to a completely new place again is unsettling. It is work getting settled somewhere, making new friends, being accepted. But that is beside the point. With the fall weather being so nice, it has made me realize how much I miss living in the country. I can close my eyes and picture that quaint little country dirt road in Barrytown. I imagine a pretty little white house with a porch all the way across the front, complete with porch swing and rockers. I could open all the windows and doors, and let the kids outside to play without worrying about them getting snatched or ran over. They could have a tree swing, a dog and a cat, and room to ride their tricycles and maybe even a four-wheeler. The only sounds would be distant traffic and those of nature. Aaahhh...
Those of you who enjoy this type of lifestyle, don't take it for granted! You could be in the middle of a subdivison listening to trains and airplanes and with nothing to look at but your neighbor's house (15 ft from your door) and concrete. Yes, city life has its conveniences, but I am and always will be a country girl. I can't say that I am "homesick", but I sure am "countrysick".

2 comments:

Natural Mama said...

Thanks, hon, for reminding me not to take my country life for granted. We have spent a lot of time on the porch in these past few cool days. I can imagine a little white house with porch swings for you too--right next to mine!! :) Love ya!

Autumn said...

I do love living out a little ways, but I am glad that you have found a place that you or otherwise happy with. I miss you often, and wish you could be here for the upcoming baby. I hope the kids or doing well!!