Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Unwrapping Contentment (Tuesdays Unwrapped)



Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. Philippians 4:13.

Contentment.


Sometimes the handle of contentment is greased with oil and slips out of my hands as I grasp, desperately, to hold onto it. My heart searches, daily, for contentment as I wash the same dishes, fold the same laundry, and sweep the same floors over and over. Most days it comes easy, and my heart is filled with gratitude and satisfaction as I fulfill the highest calling of my life--being a wife and a mother. But then out of nowhere discontentment will rear its ugly head and gnash its teeth at my heels. It's then that I pull out the big guns and fight back! Praise, worship, and thankfulness are my weapons and the slithering snake of discontentment retreats into a puff of smoke.

My heart is overwhelmed with all that I've been given:
A perfectly decorated, modern house? Nope.

The latest stylish SUV sitting in my driveway? Nope.

A closet full of fashionable, well-fitting clothes? Nope again.

Peace in my heart? Yes.

A song on my lips? Yes.

A husband who cherishes me and children who fill my days with joy? YES!!

And last but not least, my Savior who meets with me every morning, who died for my wretched soul, and whispers sweet peace in my ear all the day through.

I'm choosing to unwrap contentment today!!

To read more "Tuesdays Unwrapped", visit www.chattingatthesky.com








6 comments:

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Contentment is a worthy goal. It's wonderful if you can find it at a young age. So many live in a state of discontentment. "Praise, worship, and thankfulness are my weapons." Love that. So true!

Anonymous said...

Very good heartflet post.

Corinne Cunningham said...

Such an important and beautiful gift to unwrap!

Tonya said...

Beautiful post -- what a great reminder that we do have choices about what we focus on!

dawn said...

Contentment is the ticket to peace. Love it.

Natural Mama said...

So thankful for contentment and appreciate that you have it as well..beautifully written post!