Thursday, February 17, 2011

Taking Control of the Situation--Using Herbal Remedies




OK, so switching gears a little after all that "romantical" stuff :).

You may recall, if you're a regular reader, that one of my goals for 2011 was to learn more and implement more usage of herbs and herbal remedies in my family. Herbs and their healing powers have been a subject of interest for me for a few years now. But until this year's Winter of Perpetual Sickness, I didn't really get serious about it. Passive no more! I am a Mom on the war-path for effective, natural ways to treat our family's ailments.

We took a little trip to the health food store last weekend, armed with a list of things to look for and price. We all know this stuff is not cheap, but when you think about it, neither is paying a co-pay for 3 children each time they go to the doctor. And believe me, we have been to the doctor a lot in the past four months. Too much. My husband and I decided to create a new category in our monthly budget for medical expense which will cover vitamins, probiotics, and other helpful homeopathic treatments {such as colloidal silver, garlic drops for earaches, and wild cherry bark cough syrup}.

Here's what I came home with:
1.


2. Olive leaf extract--to treat my Rosacea

3.
These probiotics replace the good bacteria in our intestines that are killed off by antibiotics.


I also have my children on Vitamin C gummies and am on the lookout for a good multivitamin (and I don't mean Flinstones).

Why not just take some antibiotics and down some Tussin to get through it? Read this article about antibiotics. They are doing us more harm than good, and after seeing my little girl go through 3 or 4 rounds this year and turning around and getting sick again one week after each round, I need no more proof.

Here are some good sources of information that have really helped me to give me direction:

::: Bulk Herb Store
This girl knows her herbs! You can order teas and smoothie mixes and tincture mixes delivered fresh and right to your front door. My friends joke to me about my "grass" teas but they are awesome ;). They are affordable, too! Go to youtube and check out some of her clips about herbal treatments. Look up "Shoshanna's Kitchen". You'll love the energetic, fun way she presents the information. And if you click on the Bulk Herb Store button on my sidebar and order something, this blog will receive a little commission from that purchase, as I am an official Bulk Herb Store affiliate.

::: Homemaker's Cottage
Krissy is a stay-at-home, home-schooling mom of four who has done her homework and regularly shares what she has learned about herbs and homeopathy. I've learned so much and been encouraged to dig deeper into the world of herbal treatments from her blog.

::: Zsuzanna's blog, Are They All Yours?
A wealth of information from a Mom who has tried and proven home remedies. Some of her opinions and beliefs are offensive to some people, and I do not necessarily agree with everything she believes in or blogs about, but as for this one area I have really got some good information from her.


Unless you've been living with your head in the sand, you realize that though we are living in rough times, even harder times are yet to come. The healthcare industry has failed us, and our terrible diets have failed us. Psalm 104:14 says, "He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man." He has provided ways for us to treat ourselves in a safe, effective way. Isn't it amazing how our God thought of everything we would need and provided for it in nature? It's up to us to educate ourselves and use that information to the best of our abilities.

I hope I have encouraged someone out there to start thinking of their family's health and treatments in a new way. If so, good luck on making that transition. It's not easy changing our ways, especially when it's different from the way it's always been done, but you'll be so proud of yourself when you choose to make the better choice, and your family will thank you for it.



1 comment:

Mama to 12, so far said...

How do you use the olive leaf extract for the roseasa?