Thursday, February 24, 2011

All In A Day....Laundry








I've been enjoying reading the "All In A Day" posts by some of my favorite bloggin' Mamas, but have yet to jump on the proverbial wagon with 'em. Basically because it's getting harder and harder for me to squeeze blogging in with everything else that's demanded of me, er, all in a day :).

But then I was inspired by Natural Mama's (also my SIL), blog about laundry. Laundry, inspiring? There's an ironic statement. But let's face it, it stares me in the face every day, from just about every room in the house, daring me to keep its morphing masses under submission. Which for the most part, I have found a balance which I am contented to live with. I can definitely write about laundry with ease and confidence.

Here's what works for me and keeps my laundry manageable:

::Gather all laundry every evening after bath and every morning after PJ changes.
This is the children's responsibility--taking their dirty clothes to the laundry room after their bedtime baths and in the mornings after changing into playclothes. The Heart Chart motivates them and it's fun to see how creative they can get with the process {think doll strollers and grocery buggies}. I gather my and DH's laundry in the evening before I go to bed.

::Keep it sorted.
I {heart} laundry baskets. IMO, you can't have too many. I've found a couple of good ones dumpster diving and a 3-compartment sorter at a garage sale for $4 {I took pics but alas cannot upload them to the PC. Bummer.}. It has been a life-saver. The children know which compartment their clothes go into and this makes it easier to keep the laundry room neat{er} than just throwing them all into the floor or cramming them in one basket. It's kind of like pre-sorting. Some laundry baskets I covet:







I've seen some with good prices at TJ Maxx. It's worth the investment when you use them not only for laundry for also for cleaning, like I do.

I try to immediately sort out items of clothing that are stained, to be stain-treated. I do miss some sometimes :(. It helps to have a basket/compartment just for stained clothes.


::Do two loads each day.
This is what keeps my head above water, so to speak. I tried the do-a-different-person's-laundry-each-day method (ya know, Mom's on Monday, Dad's on Tuesday, towels on Wednesday, etc.). Did not work for me. My nerves do not like to see piles of laundry. They revolt. It is not practical to have all laundry done at all times, but I do like to keep it a safe mound instead of an out-of-control mountain. I can breathe this way. Two loads of laundry per day does it for me. It's not really that bad if you have it sorted already. I tackle the largest load first, and move on from there. I switch out a load first thing in the morning, and I like to fold it up immediately as it comes out of the drier and use my deep freezer as a folding table. Just because I "like" to do it this way, doesn't mean it always happens. Because life happens, a couple of loads can wind up sitting on the couch or chase lounge waiting to be folded.

I use Purex, in the blue bottle, and only use about a 1/3 of what is recommended per load. It works fine for us and I feel better about the toxic reduction factor. I've been saying for years I'm going to start going the homemade detergent route, but I can't seem to find any Borax at Wal-Mart or the time to run into another grocery store for just one item. One day.




A great big shout-out loud for my clothes line. Love it. Love hanging clothes, love seeing the clothes billowing in the breeze, love the smell, love the change in the electric bill. If you don't have one, I urge you to nag, I mean, beg your husband until he makes you one.

::Train Children to Put Away Their Own Laundry

Honestly, I hated to put away laundry when I was at home {Hi, Mom :)} and still do. So I love the thought of passing that chore onto my girls {insert wicked laugh}. Seriously, it takes times to invest in teaching children to do a task on their own, and constant reminders and direction, but it can be done. I'm all for teaching our children to have a servant's heart at a young age--you are doing them a favor, trust me. My children all put away their own laundry (even 2 yo), except for hang-up items.

That's it for my laundry post. Hope you enjoyed your visit! Come back soon, and if you're not a follower, there no greater time than now to become one :).


Check out the other All in a Day Bloggers...


Carrie @ Our Full House

Christi @ Where the Creek Meets the Lake

Elizabeth @ Yes They’re All Ours

Kathy @ Kathy Mom of Many

Kristy @ Homemaker's Cottage

Lori @ Happy Busy Mama

Monica @ Natural Mama

Renee @ Bakers Dozen

Please leave me a comment w/ your blog url if you want to join in :).



5 comments:

Natural Mama said...

Thanks for shouting out! :) Love to have you 'hang out your dirty laundry' with me! :)
Hope you all are doing well. We are still battling some sicknesses over here.
Can't wait to see you at the Ladies Retreat!

busymomof10 said...

I loved your post! Loved your sweet spirit which shines through your dirty laundry post! :) Thanks for linking up with us!

Kathy - mom of many said...

Great post. I grew up with a laundry line and I remember hanging out the clothes, bringing them in, etc. I might use your idea of having a separate place to put stained clothing. Thanks for posting.

Ashlee said...

I love doing laundry especially with my new washer and dryer that I suddenly had to buy after my 20 year old set bit the dust.

I despise putting it away though. It takes forever when you have kids!!!

Mama to 12, so far said...

Thanks for joining us! Enjoyed your post!